To many people, town development and town conservation would seem to be two ends of a spectrum. Development implies making more of something, whether it be housing, infrastructure, or commercial opportunity. Conservation sounds like preservation: putting the brakes on change so that natural resources and heritage won’t be lost.
In Norwich, one process flows into the other, and back again. We can see this in the history of two town organizations: the Norwich Development Association and the Norwich Conservation Commission.
The Norwich Development Association was formed in 1943 by a group of citizens who wanted to ensure that local children would have a place to swim and to receive swimming lessons. Article 2 of their bylaws named this, but left an opening for further work: “…development and operation of a swimming pool…and promoting or maintaining recreational facilities, or any other improvements for the general welfare, benefit, and beauty of the Town of Norwich.” They were given land along the Charles Brown Brook by Della and Angus MacAulay. Abbie, Fred, and Paul Metcalf donated a strip of land adjacent to the spot planned for a pool, and a dam was built to contain water seasonally. It opened with great fanfare on July 4, 1944, with food, games, music, and speechifying.

Sketch of Gile Mountain tower by Conservation
Commissioner Anne Foley
Over the following years, the Norwich Development Association received annual appropriations from the Town to ensure upkeep and lifeguarding services. In the 1950s, other projects were taken up: running a ski tow on the site of what is now part of Hillside Cemetery, and creating the skating rink on the Town Green. These were both focused on affordable recreation for youth. In 1957, an elementary student’s season ticket for the ski tow cost $3, while a single afternoon use was 25 cents. The ski tow closed in the late 1950s due to high maintenance costs, complicated by uncertain snowfall.
Clearly, development meant creating safe and affordable recreation opportunities for the younger generation. But when development – in the sense of commercial or residential encroachment on forested land – was perceived as a threat to the “general welfare, benefit and beauty “of the town, the Association took action. They purchased 50 acres around the summit of Gile Mountain in 1968, and created a permanently revolving conservation fund for “easements or options in the Town’s interest” in 1969. In the same year, Maurice Aldrich donated additional land adjacent to the Norwich Pool to the Norwich Development Association.

Building Bat Boxes at Milt Frye Conservation Area
This additional concern for preserving undeveloped land was reflected in their name change in 1972 to the Norwich Recreation and Conservation Council. But two years later, the work was split between two bodies. While the Norwich Recreation and Conservation Council continued to plan recreational activities, the urgency of conservation, with new awareness of threats to our environment, prompted the town to take action. At the 1974 town meeting, the Selectboard was asked to create a Conservation Commission with seven members, the first such commission in the state. This group was to implement the conservation aims of the 1974 town plan, to conserve “open spaces and other lands, waters, and flora and fauna.” They formed five sub-committees: Land Acquisition, Conservation Economics, Education, Natural Resources Inventory, and the Administration and Maintenance of town lands. In the same year, they proposed a bill to the Vermont State House to encourage more Vermont towns to create such commissions. It is notable that those founding members of the Conservation Commission, some of whom had served on the original Norwich Development Association, were ahead of their time in valuing the beautifully “undeveloped’ land around us. Foremost among these far-sighted leaders was Bill Ballard, whose concern for endangered flora led to conservation efforts of bogs and wetlands.

Skating on the town green ca. 1950
The early years of the Conservation Commission saw a variety of activities. A long-term inventory of natural resources began. Books and magazines were purchased for the elementary school library. A public forum entitled “Growth: Who Pays?” was held. A town-wide tree planting project, as well as special plantings around Tracy Hall were accomplished. The Commission took part in a weekly radio program called “Environmental Insight” at Dartmouth College.
Through the 1990s and 2000s, the Commission continued to educate school children and adults. Some serious fundraising efforts resulted in a healthy Conservation Trust Fund. Continuing inventories of natural resources, of wetlands, and of Norwich special places gave direction to potential land acquisition. Much effort was given to planning and developing trails and trail networks on conserved land. Notably, in 1996, Bill Ballard led a hike down the trail that would bear his name (though he argued vigorously for calling it the “Al Converse and Pete Richardson Trail”, because they led the work parties that marked the final trail).

Norwich Pool Opening 1944
Today, 50 years after its founding, the Norwich Conservation Commission has changed some of its structure. There are now nine members and two subcommittees: the Trails Committee and the Milt Frye Nature Area Committee. The conservation of land continues. New land acquisition projects include the Arnold tract near Norfolk Lake Road and the Woody Adams Forest adjacent to the Gile Mountain Tract. The Schmidt Bog, home to the showy lady slippers so dear to Bill Ballard’s heart, has had boardwalks built. In the Milt Frye Nature Area near the Marion Cross School, work is underway to eradicate invasives while expanding the diversity of native wildflowers. As the Emerald Ash Borer makes its way into our area, plans are being made for treatment options for the town’s ash trees.
A wealth of educational articles can be found on the Conservation Commission’s website. There, you can find information on living alongside our local fauna, such as bears, bees, deer, beavers. Our waterways, insect threats and benefits, and dealing with native and invasive plants are described.
According to a 2003 article by Henry Homeyer in Dartmouth Alumni Magazine, Bill Ballard is reputed to have said, “This world was made beautiful, but it’s being made less beautiful by people who don’t understand the importance of beauty.” I wonder whether it was his words in the founding document of the Norwich Development Association that spoke of “the general welfare, benefit, and beauty of the Town of Norwich.” We are so grateful to the Norwich Conservation Commission for 50 years of carrying on his legacy for preserving and conserving the beauty of our town. Happy 50th birthday!






































































